Friday, October 17

Seems Like Nissan is playing the "catch up" game


Nissan is trying to speed-race to the top after many years of being left behind by competitors, Honda & Toyota. In 2010, Nissan is set to bringing affordable zero-emission vehicles to the U.S. market. They recently announced it will be the first manufacturer to mass-produce a fully electric horseless carriage.

Nissan Motors recently announced plans to bring an affordably priced electric car to the U.S. market by 2010, raising the stakes in the race to develop environmentally friendly, zero-emission vehicles by being the first major automaker to commit to delivering an electric vehicle (EV) for a certain market by a certain date. While Nissan's yet-to-be-named initial offering will most likely be a small economy-sized car, Carlos Ghosn, the Japanese automaker's chief executive, says the company also plans to roll out a complete line of EVs in all shapes and sizes worldwide by 2012.

According to Ghosn, Nissan's decision to accelerate its EV development program into hyperdrive stemmed from growing public concerns over soaring prices at gas pumps and the negative environmental impact of fossil fuel use, rather than the need to meet stricter U.S. fuel-economy standards that take effect in 2015. Having fallen behind Japanese rivals Honda and Toyota in hybrids, Nissan has definitely made the EV the pillar of its green strategy.
Although Ghosn was willing to share his company's position on electric-powered cars, he was unwilling to share any real details about the new electric products. However, company sources tell us that the car will not be a version of an existing model, but rather a uniquely designed sedan with room for up to five passengers. It will be powered by a special breed of laminated lithium-ion batteries made by consumer electronics giant NEC. Minoru Shinohara, Senior Vice President of the Nissan-NEC joint venture, claims the new battery pack (which will lie flat under the car's floor and won't intrude on cabin or trunk space like the one in the Nissan Altima Hybrid) is capable of traveling up to 124 miles between charges.

While this kind of range is respectable, it's still about half the distance claimed by the exotic Tesla Roadster (220 miles). Charging time, drive motor and specific performance specs are still highly guarded secrets. However, sources say the car will offer performance comparable to that of Nissan's most fuel-efficient gasoline-powered automobiles.


smuggled from msn

I'm not buying into it. I heard Nissan weren't great cars. I've always had a Honda and I think I always will have a Honda, simply because there great cars and you never have an issue with them. My first Honda was an Accord, and I didn't have problems until 7 years after I had it...my car was used, the prior owner had it 2 years before me, so if you add it up....9 years that car went without problems. That's pretty good. And the issue at that time was the transmission I think, It's been so long. And No I'm Not OLD, my first car was given to me in the 8th grade...Consider me blessed! lol...

I actually have an Honda Element as we speak...and I absolutely love my car...It's good on gas, It's great for travel, it's spacious and it's unique! I couldn't ask for anything more...well I could but a Tesla Roadster isn't in my budget, lol...My next Honda will probably be the Ridgeline. I don't know Nissan, you gotta impress me a lil more in order for me to be convinced and make that switch!


KodakBoi

KodakBoi