Thursday, October 23

Gnarls Barkley To Release Digital EP


Gnarls Barkley will be releasing a digital EP on Nov. 11 via Atlantic. The EP, titled Who's Gonna Save My Soul includes four versions of the song of the same time, as well as a live version of "Neighbors" from the 40-Watt Club in Athens, GA. and the non-album track "Mystery Man.""It's the first song we did for the new record. There was that nod of agreement and sigh of relief that we're starting, and ... we're off!," said Gnarls Barkley member Cee-Lo to Billboard.com of "Soul." The song appears in its original version, as a demo, an instrumental and as the audio from MTV's "52 Bands."
"The song was written about James Brown -- from an admirer's perspective ... someone who had truly personified everything that we are," he says. Gnarls Barkley played a 2006 show in London, and had the opportunity to meet Brown. However, the timing, and subsequently the plans, did not come together. Brown died a few months later. "It disappointed me so bad," Cee-Lo says. "It was almost like he was about to pass a torch to me. It's my assumption but that's also my aspiration. When I say, 'I lay my own soul down,' it's like, I will have to be my own hero. I will have to save my own soul. Therefore, it is very painful, but there's also a silver lining." "This song really showed that we had other places to go and things to do," Danger Mouse adds. "We tried it a couple different ways, and each time it still had a really great impact."The group describes "Mystery Man" as "a song we weren't sure what to do with. We didn't know how to finish it, but we still liked what we had. It's half instrumental and half vocals." The live version of "Neighbors" is one that Danger Mouse is particularly fond of, as he went to college in Athens. As for future plans, Gnarls Barkely plans to wait a little before they release another full-length album. "We really want people to hear this song, and hopefully this EP will carry it on," says Danger Mouse.

Smuggled from here