Thursday, November 19

Throwback Thursday: Armadale Vodka

In the early part of this decade, it was assumed that after a rapper reached a certain level of success, he would start a fashion line, none of which are still in style (in case you didn't know). Some of these rappers took their entrepreneurship to a higher level. Case in point: Jay-Z. When I speak of a higher level of entrepreneurship, I'm not referring to starting a record label, because anyone can do that. However, anyone cannot do this:


The first bottle of alcohol that I ever popped was one of Armadale vodka. Although Jay-Z/Dame Dash/Roc-A-Fella Records did not actually develop Armadale, the label made heaps of money after they purchased the U.S. rights to Armadale vodka in 2002. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Armadale in the liquor store in a few years. I guess the venture fell apart with Roc-A-Fella Records. Nonetheless, props should be given to Roc-A-Fella for doing something that we rarely see Black people do: from Profit from Consumption. Trust me, nobody Black is making a penny off of Nuvo.

When I think of Armadale, this is the first video that comes to mind: