Tuesday, September 15

WillyTee's 3 Cents

Photobucket

The past two days have been really hard for me. I may have made a couple of comments here and there on a few posts, but it has been incredibly difficult for me to conceptualize the events that occurred during this Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards. As the resident Kanye West STAN of this blog, I feel that I must make a statement.

At first, I was angered & disappointed.

As a fan of Kanye West, I have spent much of the past several years defending Kanye to those who did not understand his genius. All the while, Kanye was proving that he was really showing personal growth. After a series of outbreaks after the release of Late Registration, most people knew that Kanye was incredibly arrogant. However, we were reminded of his humility and his "rags to riches" story by the album Graduation and songs like "Big Brother," "Champion," and "Good Life." Every time we thought he was arrogant again, he would do something to confirm that he was sincere in his attempts to become a better person. I was pleased, and most people were pleased. In fact, most people had stopped noting his arrogance.

Back to the point at hand: The Taylor Swift incident made me angry. I thought he had come a long way, but this tantrum really made him look foolish. Worstly, Taylor Swift didn't really deserve this award. When Britney Spears won over Beyonce for best Female video, Kanye's rightfulness became all the more evident.

Beyonce's "Single Ladies" is probably the most influential and impactful video of this decade. The affect on pop culture that "Single Ladies" has had is indelible. I have seen videos of everyone from Chris Brown to Katy Perry to Joe Jonas cover some portion of the dance depicted in this video. It was #1 on the Hot 100 for weeks and weeks and weeks. To top it all off, Beyonce won the award for Video of the Year. I am dismayed as to how a video can be the best video that year, yet somehow not be the best female video or the best pop video. Logically, it doesn't follow.

But back to the point at hand: In my humble opinion, Kanye was right. But it is also obvious that he was also incredibly wrong. I probably don't even need to explain this to you, because it's obvious. He had no right to take that girl's moment from her. Regardless of his intentions, his actions were hurtful and painful to watch. I think Katy Perry said it best: it was like some stepped on a kitten.

It's not easy to see your Idol step on a kitten. Throughout the past few days, one thing has made me happy that this whole thing went down: the random appearances of Lil Mama. I can't explain how she got all of these places, but I just know that this s*** is funny.

It all started with Jay-Z & Alicia...

Photobucket

Then I realized that she had somehow been stalking Jay-Z for a while.

Photobucket
Lil Mama posing with Jay-Z for the cover of Reasonable Doubt

Photobucket
Lil Mama posing with Jay-Z for the cover of In My Lifetime, Vol.1

Photobucket
Lil Mama partying it up with Jay-Z

Photobucket
Lil Mama Courtside with Jay-Z and Wife Beyonce

Eventually, I found out that this was bigger than Jigga

Photobucket
Lil Mama with the Real Housewives of Atlanta

Photobucket
Lil Mama with Chris Brown during their Larry King Interview

Photobucket
Lil Mama with Jesus and the Disciples at the Last Supper

Photobucket
Lil Mama with Biggie & 2Pac

Photobucket
Lil Mama with Celie & Nettie in the Color Purple

Photobucket
Lil Mama and the First Family

Photobucket
Lil Mama on the Moon


Photobucket