Friday, July 24

"I'm No Soul Girl Quipped With No Afro."

Photobucket
Thank God For Twitter!!! My future wife Solange recently took to the site to make a "statement" about her hair or a lack thereof and the negative press that it has elicited. Below is a condensed and readable version of what she had to say:
"Listen. If I wanted to make a statement, I would have twitpic'd, photoshoot, etc. I was simply taking my son to school. The stupid paps took a pic.

I was NOT inspired by anyone but myself.

I have done this twice in my life. I was 16. I was 18. I did not care about your opinion then, and I don't care about it now. I don't need your attention or your co-sign. I am the #3 trending topic before IRAN, and some of you can't even locate it on a map... It's sad...

I don't want an edge or a perm because I'm not trying to make this "a style" or a statement. I just wanted to be free from the bondage that black women sometimes put on themselves with hair. At this phase of my life, I want to spend the time, energy, and money on something else... Not in the hair salon.

I'm not mad at all of you that have made your opinions known and have sent negative energy my way. I expected this of you. You have the right to have an opinion...

So Do I...

'I'm No Soul Girl Quipped With No Afro, I'm Just My God Given Name'

The ONLY reason that I responded to this is because I was disappointed to see my name more talked about then Iranian Election

We Gotta Do Better People!!!"
First off... that's a lie about only responding to the twitts because she was talked about more on a social networking site than the Iranian Election. But I do feel her on the hair tip, and that's only because mama's hair used to be LAYED! That's got to be stressful. If her hair was jacked, and she explained cutting it with "I didn't like the stresses associated with keeping my jacked wig together," I'd be like "girl please!" But her hair used to be better than Bey's... and that's an accomplishment!

I love long hair just like any product of a Eurocentric society (google it). And even though I hate to see it chopped completely off, I'm happy that my girl isn't affected by all of the negative press that she's getting...
Photobucket